Tuesday, May 28, 2019,
Register now at: bywardworkshop2.eventbrite.ca
There will be two identical workshop sessions and each workshop session will include a presentation and table group discussion to gather feedback on the proposed plans for ByWard Market’s streets and public spaces. The plans illustrate suggestions for sidewalks, streets, trees, paving, seating, parking, space for events and special features.
Please note that you only have to attend one of the two sessions. The first session will start at 4:30 p.m. and the second session will start at 7:00 p.m.
About the ByWard Market
The ByWard Market is one of the most well known destinations in Ottawa. This iconic precinct’s cultural and heritage assets attract local residents as well as visitors from across Canada and the world. The heritage public market building is at the ByWard Market’s symbolic core, but the precinct accommodates a diverse collection of original shops, boutiques, retailers, restaurants and public spaces. Because of its economic and cultural contributions, the City of Ottawa plans to ensure that the Market remains a popular and successful destination in the future.
What is a public realm plan?
The public realm plan will establish a vision for the short, medium and long-term improvements made to the network of public spaces in the ByWard Market. The types of public spaces to be studied and enhanced include streets, sidewalks, parks, squares and plazas. The plan will also identify strategies and partnerships to enliven key public places within the ByWard Market.
The plan will provide direction and designs to beautify, organize and connect the ByWard Market’s public spaces to make them accessible, inclusive, safe and inviting.
Creating the plan
The planning process will study:
- Public life and consumer behaviour
- Pedestrians and cyclists
- Vehicle circulations
- Parking and loading
- Below-grade utilities and services
- Existing and planned context
- Previous work completed for the study area
The data will inform the new spatial requirements and designs of sidewalks, streets, public spaces, movement patterns, landscaping and other details.
This project is scheduled to be delivered in four phases.
Phase 1: Project Launch and Study of Existing Conditions
Phase 2: Functional Planning
Phase 3: Design and Activation of Key Places
Phase 4: Recommended Public Realm Plan
- The creation of a public space plan is a next step outlined in the Project for Public Spaces report to City Council titled Strengthening the Future of the ByWard Market (2013)
- The 2015-2018 Term of Council Priority directs the renewal of the ByWard Market (along with the Parkdale Market and Sparks Street)
- The timing builds on the momentum of recent successes in the area, such as:
- Delivery of Rideau Street Renewal (2019)
- Renovation of the Government Conference Centre to house the Senate of Canada (2018)
- Creation of the new Ottawa Markets governance model (2018)
- Delivery of George Street Plaza and York Street Plaza (2017)
- Expansion and renewal of CF Rideau Centre (2017); and
- Other private sector investments.
This project is scheduled as an 18-month process, beginning in the summer of 2018. As these project timelines may change, please consult this site for updates.
- Sign up to receive news and updates about the ByWard Market Public Realm Plan
- Sign up to receive our City Builder e-newsletter and updates about city events
- Follow #DesignByWard
- Attend an event
- Contact us
Contact information / contact us
Jillian Savage, MCIP, RPP
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development
110 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1
613-580-2424 ext. 14970